Current time: 11-24-2017, 05:56 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Canadian visitor drowns on Oahu's North Shore
03-10-2011, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 08:02 PM by kaniamea.)
Canadian visitor drowns on Oahu's North Shore
Today a Canadian visitor drowned on Oahu's North Shore in an area known as Pine Trees (which is part of Ke Iki Beach). It seems like the woman wasn't even swimming, but merely walking near the water's edge when a wave dragged her and two other family members into the ocean. The two other family members were saved by bystanders, but they weren't able to get the woman out. Lifeguards found her later and brought her to shore. They weren't able to resuscitate her.

A sad fact that not many visitors are aware of is that every year about 60 people die by drowning in Hawaii, according to the State of Hawaii Department of Health Injury Prevention and Control Program. Especially in the winter months, the surf is really rough on all northern shorelines in the Hawaiian Islands. But even if the ocean appears calm, currents are often times difficult to spot. The ocean in Hawaii is very powerful and can be dangerous even for experienced swimmers.

Here are a few beach safety tips that can save your life:

Tip #1: Choose a beach with a lifeguard.

Tip #2: Pay attention to beach warning signs (strong currents and shorebreak, stinging jellyfish, sharp corals, slippery rocks, steep drop-off, etc.)

Tip #3: Don’t swim at remote beaches.

Tip #4: Never turn your back on the ocean. Sudden large waves can sneak up on you and sweep you off the beach or rocks and pull you out into deep water.

Tip #5: If in doubt, don’t go out!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2011, 02:34 PM
RE: Canadian visitor drowns on Oahu's North Shore
Wow, seems like a case where the oceans was already acting funny before the tsunami maybe. That really is a very sad case and you hear about this exact same thing happening in other places too. We had a case like this about a month again and I wander if this happen at the same beach?
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
03-14-2011, 01:53 AM
RE: Canadian visitor drowns on Oahu's North Shore
Thats one thing about the ocean in Hawaii, you need to be very carefull in the water. You never know when a strong wave or current might get you. Many years ago when I was on Kauai I got caught in a current that almost took me out. I was on the beach and very few people were there when the current got me. I was only about 10 feet off shore and it took me about an entire minute to get those 10 feet. I thought I was gone! Hawaii is beautiful......but be carefull!!!!!!