Current time: 12-13-2017, 12:44 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Canadian First Nations to work/live in Hawaii (The Jay Treaty)
08-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Rainbow Canadian First Nations to work/live in Hawaii (The Jay Treaty)

Hello there from beautiful Banff, Alberta!

My mother is First Nations and my father is an immigrant Hungarian so I've got a status card identifying myself as First Nations.

My sister took advantage of the Jay Treaty to work in Minnesota many years ago, but I always wanted to live and work in Hawaii, myself. I fear the process is much more complex nowawdays and my head is spinning from the documentation so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/inform...icans.html

Do I now require a letter identifying my blood heritage in addition to my status card? Must I apply for a specific Visa?

Any guidance or help is greatly appreciated.

Warm regards from the mountains of Canada,

Jim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2012, 06:28 PM
RE: Canadian First Nations to work/live in Hawaii (The Jay Treaty)
Aloha Jim and welcome to our forum. Even though we have discussed immigration issues on this forum before, this is a very specific question that you have and I'm afraid I don't know the answer myself. What I would suggest is to consult with an immigration lawyer. Maybe you could also post this question in an immigration forum.
06-13-2013, 07:58 AM
I'm happy to say that I've secured the documentation required for my arrival in the US using the Jay Treaty for First Nations / American Indians.

The organization I work for, Hostelling International, is helping me out with Accommodation in Waikiki, as that's where I'll be working, but I wonder if perhaps there was a lot of student housing situations I could take advantage of (an apartment with 2 or 3 roommates).

I've read about some of the student neighbourhoods around UH, but thought maybe there was a local listing somewhere I could keep an eye on for accommodation opportunities. Is there a website much like Craigslist or what we have here in Canada, Kijiji.ca?

Any guidance with affordable housing in Honolulu, near the University or Waikiki, would be greatly appreciated. : )
06-15-2013, 05:32 AM
I don't know of any public website that lists student housing. But the universities, for example HPU, have their own site where students can post ads for shared rentals. But I think you have to be a student to get access to this site. I also know that there is a bulletin board at UH. Most students who don't stay on campus check craigslist. There is a section in craigslist for shared rentals. Maybe you could check that. Other than that I'm not aware of any affordable housing in Waikiki. Good luck with your move.