Current time: 07-24-2017, 12:32 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Canada to hawaii
12-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Canada to hawaii
Message: I am a 59 year young Canadian, ex-naval officer ( 1969, UK trained), now semi-retired. I am originally from Singapore/Malaysia, and have been living in Toronto for almost 30 years. My background is Marine Cargo Claims Surveyor/Adjuster. I am prepared to work in any other field similar/not related to my experience.

I wish to permanently move, work & live to warm Hawaii.

How do I achieve this goal?

Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2009, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 07:41 AM by kaniamea.)
RE: Canada to hawaii
Hello Jim,

Non US citizens need a valid work visa to work in the US. I am not familiar with the law for Canadian citizens if there are any exceptions for them. But if there are not, then you will need to get an H1-B visa or Investor visa. Recently we published an article about how to get a job in Hawaii for foreign citizens. Here is the official US immigration site where you will find more info http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis.

Most of the jobs in Hawaii are in government and the tourism industry. Government jobs don't apply for foreign citizens. Tourism jobs are usually in hotels, restaurants and tour companies. These jobs pay little generally. Maybe you could also consult an employment agency, but make sure you have your visa arranged.

I had a Canadian teacher at school and she had to leave Hawaii because her visa had expired and she could not renew it. So that makes me think that Canadians do need visas also, just like any other foreign citizens.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kaniamea
12-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Kaniamea-many thanks for your reply....the info was very good...a good start....( a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.....)

another kind reply please....would there be any potential sponsor from any organization, in Hawaii , employer , cultural, church group, or otherwise, I could contact/apply...or a website/link......regarding retiring/senior worker..... in Hawaii....

thanks,

jim
12-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Hello Jim,

You are welcome.

I am not aware of any organization that helps foreign citizens to relocate. US immigration is very complex and sponsorship is usually possible only if you have any unique skill that is in high demand. Even then you will have to go through the complete H1B visa application process, which is costly and time-consuming (H1B visas are issued only once a year - you apply in the beginning of April and the visa starts in October).

Two possible things you may want to consider:

Play the green card lottery if you're a citizen from an eligible country. However, if you only have Canadian citizenship, then unfortunately you cannot apply in the lottery.

Another option would be to come to Hawaii as a student. If you apply at a local university, you can get an F1 visa. However, you will not be allowed to work in the US in the first 9 months until you get a Social Security Number. After that you will have limited working rights. However, if you can afford that option, being here will open new possiblities for you and you could try to research other possibilites for work.

A third option would be to come as a tourist and see if you would even like it here. Many people think Hawaii is paradise, but living here and being on vacation here are two completely different things. Hawaii is very expensive and you will either need a big bank account or a well-paying job to make it here. So you could come on a tourist visa and for 3 months explore the islands and maybe make some contacts, which could lead to a possible sponsorship offer for a work visa. Or acquaintances that could help. Connections like this are always best. Besides that, if you want to find a sponsor for a work visa, it is much better if your employers knows you in person. Hardly anyone would sponsor you for a visa without knowing you in person.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Aloha,
Kaniamea
03-30-2010, 05:19 PM
I am a 28 year old man from Canada with a diploma in tourism and hospitality (1 yr course) . I have 2 years experience working security. How can I move to Hawaii to work legally?
04-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Hello,
The answer is already posted above. If you dont have a US visa, you can not work in Hawaii.
Good luck.
12-12-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm working on getting my helicopter pilots license (and possibly one in twin engine planes). I was also wanting to work and live in Hawaii (and other tropical destination in the future) using my aviation license(s) to support myself. Does this seem like a feasible idea in Hawaii?

I know that Hawaii is big on tourism, and was wondering if there would be a demand for something like there, or not as much? I know there are various airplane and helicopter tours offered, as well as things like search and rescue and private rentals. I am just looking to know if there would be a demand, and also if so, if that would help my chances in a getting a working Visa. Also, does anyone know of any Canadian or foreign companies that operate tours of Hawaii?

I'm just looking for some general information before I start calling around to companies in Hawaii asking them questions.

Cid
12-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Hi Cid,

Good luck with your helicopter pilots license!
Yes, in Hawaii there are many tour companies, airlines, etc but unfortunately I dont know how easy is to get a job. Last year a major airline went out of business and this left many pilots unemployed. Also the visa situation is very complicated. You need to get H1B visa to work in Hawaii and that's possible only if you find an employer who will be willing to sponsor you prior to your arrival here.

I hope this info help.
01-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Hmmm. Also Canadian, also wishing to move to Hawaii. BA in Tourism Management. Padi scuba diving instructor. Might be able to pull some funds together to go the investor visa option as well. You have been very helpful to the others. Was wondering if you had any thoughts on my case?
01-11-2011, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 01:56 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
I don't know enough about your goals to give you a 100% definative answer to your question but I can tell you this, the state of Hawaii has several roadblocks to obtaining a business license here without a US Citizenship or even a state ID card for that matter. All I can say is for you to do your homework and maybe take a vacation here just for that research. That is the soundest advise that I can give you. If you have ever looked at any websites by the state of Hawaii, you will still come away with more questions than answers. Some answers will be answered only to lead to new questions. I feel that the best option is to come here,ask questions,follow every new lead and most of all,bring your checkbook if you are serious about this.
Just one more angle to look at, how much competition by locals doing the same thing will you be facing here? I will tell you this,locals here will protect their income from outsiders no matter how many degrees you hold. Competition here is already fierce and you may want to take it slow and maybe work for someone here that is already established already. Find out what the score is here first,do your homework and don't tell everyone what your goals at first. Also, renting anything or anywhere to start your business is going to be very expensive.
I will give you a example, the Star Beachboys that offer surfing lessons to tourists here right behind Duke's Statue,I understand that they pay $30,000 a month just for that spot alone(their main stand) and this is not counting their other 3 or 4 stands along the beach going all the way to the Waikiki Pier. You can PM me and I will do what I can and answer your questions the best I can.
I really hope you can figure this out and make it work for you. I believe that if you follow your dreams,the money will come...
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user