Current time: 10-19-2017, 01:40 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bug fear
09-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Bug fear
I'm thinking of buying a house in Kauai (or possibly another Hawaiian island) in the next couple of years, and my biggest concern is cockroaches. I have a pathological fear of them and I freeze in terror if I see one bigger than say 3 inches. Are there any islands known to have less of them (or more of them)? And, is there any portion of a given island that has less of them, like the windward side for example?

I have a lot of other questions and concerns, but let me just start with that. Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2012, 01:11 AM
RE: Bug fear
I think cockroaches are on all Hawaiian islands. But overall they prefer wetter places (humidity) and I also see them more frequently in the summer months. Also, maybe you could consider buying a condo instead of a house because they have easier access to ground floor units. Maybe you can also consult with a real estate agent about this issue. It's also a good idea if you never leave food outside in the kitchen or food crumbs. This attracts them even more. You can also place roach traps in your house or have it regularly sprayed professionally. I hope this info helps.
09-21-2012, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the info Kaniamea. It'll have to be a house. I've owned one for the past 9 years and I'm not willing to sacrifice my privacy. If anything, I'll need more land. I keep the premises very clean and food free all the time, so if I have it sprayed regularly as you suggest, maybe that'll be good enough.

About how big do the roaches get on average, as well as the biggest ones you've seen?
09-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Actually, nvm. There's a lot of info about Hawaii roaches on the Internet. Answering my own question, Oaho seems to have more than its share of roaches. Not surprising considering the high population density. Also, the American roaches are the largest of the 18 varieties at about 3 inches.
09-22-2012, 12:17 AM
Yes, there are all kinds of roaches in Hawaii, big and small. Some even have wings and can fly, but I've only seen those at night while biking home. Had to keep my mouth shut, LOL!
But if you take precautions, like keeping your house clean and the kitchen area dry and free of food crumbs, you can limit their visits to your house. I always have a few of those black roach traps with the sticky bottom distributed in the kitchen and bathroom (I believe they are called Hoy Hoy). They really work the best.
09-23-2012, 10:57 AM
I looked down at one that was right about 2 inches long in the shower on our first night on Oahu in 79, LOL!
Yeah, they suck but I will kill one everytime I see one just to lower the population by one less no matter where it is!
09-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Getting a little off topic but I was killing about 50 yellow jackets per day with a badminton racket in my yard in Palo Alto in the early summer. Eventually the population declined dramatically on my block while still flourishing on neighboring blocks. I'm lucky to nab one or two per day now. I finally got stung a few days ago just walking along on a neighboring block.