Current time: 10-19-2017, 08:05 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Beware of Craigslist Ads for Hawaii
03-02-2012, 08:24 AM
RE: Beware of Craigslist Ads for Hawaii
Ok, WiW and everyone else. What can you all recommend beyond CL for looking for rentals and buying, agencies, etc.?

I've had excellent interactions on CL where I currently live in SE Washington state and I think the reason is the interactions take place in two small college towns where most people selling and buying are year-rounders so have a vested interest in keeping things cool. But, of course, there's no doubt scams are happening here as well. I just haven't been the victim of one. So far.

Is there, as there are in many places, a site that rates the rental and realty companies in Hawaii in general or the islands individually? Also, come to that notion, what motorcycle/scooter shops are best for sales and service? Any sites that rate those? I've searched for the latter but found nothing so far.

My son and I plan on moving over in about a year or so and have decided to just sell off or give away everything we have and keep things as light as possible so as to really minimize our possessions problems, such as size of place to house them, ease of moving from one place to another, mainland to Hawaii, location there to location, island to island, whatever.

For additonal comments and questions on our moving there one can see the post I posted in both the General Hawaii Forum and the Ex-Pats one.

Thanks for any help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Besides trying to find a rental on CL, you can also check the local newspaper (Staradvertiser). When I moved to Hawaii, that's how I found my first place. The disadvantage is that you won't be able to look at pictures beforehand. Otherwise, CL is the most popular way to look for a rental here.

I haven't heard of a site that rates the rental and realty companies in Hawaii, but I also have never searched for one. I'm also not into motorcycles or scooters, so I don't know any good stores. Keep in mind though that drivers in Hawaii aren't known for being mindful drivers. There are quite a few motorcycle accidents here on what seems like a weekly basis, many of them fatal. It's sad, but one would think it's just a small island and people would drive slowly and responsibly. But that's not the case. Here you really need to constantly be aware while driving and anticipate the other drivers next move. Even as a pedestrian, it's wise to not just cross the street when the light shows "go" but look in both directions first. I've seen so many red light runners I can't count them anymore.

It's good that you plan to move here with as few possessions as possible. Most likely your new place here will be smaller than what you're used to anyway.
03-04-2012, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 04:33 PM by kaniamea.)
Hmm...

We'll keep those things in mind as we make our plans. Thanks again.
04-09-2012, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2012 10:46 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Wow! Great topic!
I have to say that even though you know that you are moving to Hawaii, finding a place is still very scary and I don't know if there was a better way of doing as in the way I did it.
Every ad from Craigslist was either a scam artist from Nigeria or a local that wouldn't hold a condo or apartment for three days let alone one or two weeks. I even had a few that hung up the phone on me because I wasn't even on the island when I called even though I had the airline tickets in my hand and told them I was moving there next week. Click!!
So I did the next best thing, I contacted http://www.discounthotelshawaii.com and I learned about these guys from the locals during my two research trips to Oahu. If the locals come to town (Waikiki) and had too much to drink and didn't want to drive drunk home,you give Hector or Grace a call at Discount Hotels Hawaii. After 6 PM, you call and leave a message for them of where you are at,where you'd like to stay or how much you want to spend for a one night stay. They aways called back even as late as 9pm at night with where to go and how much. Fantastic service!
These are the same folks that got me into the Park Shore for $45 with no view or $65 w/full oceanview. I hit these guys up every chance I get. Friends come to visit or family come to visit, I call Hector and Grace.
Even as I write this,I opened another window on my FireFox to make sure my information is current and accurate. There phone number is 808-394-2112 and you will always get a real person when you call. I just called them just now and talk to them for about 15 minutes.
As been the trend, Hawaii area hotels are having a banner year but there is still really great deals to be found even for 3-4 star hotels here. They can still get you an economy hotel for $40-$50 a night price range and $80-$90 bucks a night for 3-4 star hotels but timing is everything it seems like what you'll find in Las Vegas. Conventions and big events here in Honolulu can fill hotels up quickly and on the same token,empty them out quickly.
That company's mission statement hasn't changed in 20 years and they still aim to get you 50% off published rates when it's possible and they have built long lasting relationships with the management of every hotel in town. It would not surprise me that they do better than that sometimes. I have called them up when friends pop in from Japan like after last years disastrous earthquake and tsunami. Discount Hotels Hawaii was my first call and the only call I ever need to make. They're job is to fill up every empty room in this town and that is how they can give you those really great discounts!
Hector from Discount Hotels Hawaii got me a one month stay at Island Colony when I first moved here (and at a super low price) and it had a very large lanai and a full ocean view. I then followed his advice and visit the lobby bulletin boards of every building you'd like to live in. That is how I found the Foster Tower condo that I've lived in every since I moved here almost three years ago.
Before you ask,I will tell you! I sold mostly sold everything and boxed up the rest. Packed about 12 suitcases and 8 carry-on bags and paid only $160 for extra baggage fees before it became the baggage fee monster it is today. Today, I could never of done it that way.
The rest of the stuff we had was packed into flat rate boxes with the USPS "Fits-It-Ships" flat rate boxes. In case you are wondering, yes, their was some items I had wished I had packed but have since replaced with better and more modern replacements.
Bottom line is that we have no regrets for making the move to Hawaii and the way we did it. I will admit that moving a whole family without anything set in stone was quite a big risk but I have to say that I've had nothing but good luck ever since I moved here. This island and it's people has a sort of good karma to it that I really can't explain but I feel that everything that I want or need is somehow provided to me. That will have to be for another thread later.
My best advice to anyone reading this,I will say with certainty,is that if your dreams is to move here,then follow your dreams then. There is nothing in this world that is so self-satisfying as reaching and completing your most important dream. Now that I've done that, now what?? Lol!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
04-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Moving here can be ones worst nightmare. I lived in a hotel for 3 weeks at $65 a night at the Island colony in Waikiki, found a room for rent and got kicked out 12 days later because I complained to the owner about his dog making his stinking do-do right outside my bedroom window every August day and night. I traded in the car i just bought 2 weeks earlier that wouldent go uphill faster than 20 MPH, bought a Mini-van and slept in it by the Waikiki Shell parking lot every night for about 6 months till I finally got a job that paid more than $7 an hour in town. 12 years later, I'm still broke, still moving from roomate to romates place and even for while had a good job and nice apt till the recession caused me to lose it... Oh Oahu costs a fortune, Maui is a little cheaper but the jobs are slimmer, and the Big Island is a whole lot cheaper if you dont need a job that pays more than minimum wage to survive on...
04-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Yes, I totally agree with what you said. It's tricky to find a good-paying job in Hawaii that allows you to maintain a decent lifestyle. More and more people are moving to Hawaii and local employers know they can find a worker who is willing to work for less and is happy just to be living in Hawaii. One has to either work multiple jobs to afford living here or arrive with money in the bank. Otherwise there isn't much time left to enjoy the beach and views because you'll be busy working, commuting to work, and living in substandard housing.
07-29-2012, 11:09 PM
This is the same story for me, and my family. We have been looking for a 3-6 month rental and want to pay in full while we are looking for a home to buy. Some crazy guy from back east with a beautiful rental a little below market gave us all his personal family information, and then requested our personal info, all by email. we ignored the request for our family history and asked that he contact us by phone. With no phone call, we figured all at once what was happening and closed communication with him... he contiuned to email us. Since this we have found a place an we move in on tuesday. and have seen other scammers and have met another single mom who also alomost lost her money to the same scammer. Be carefull out there.