Current time: 12-12-2017, 05:42 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Average Savings Needed to Move to Oahu
01-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Average Savings Needed to Move to Oahu
Hello everyone,
My husband and I along with our 2 year old are moving to Honolulu in about 1 year. I was wondering if other members of this forum had a good estimate of how much money should be saved before moving to the Island. I appreciate any input.

Gretchen
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2014, 06:58 PM
RE: Average Savings Needed to Move to Oahu
I was told my a member to save 3 months worth of expenses. I think that is a great estimate. Of course, the more the better! Good luck in your move. Be safe and bless you all!
Find all posts by this user
01-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Aloha Gretchen and welcome to our forum. Yes, 3 months worth of expenses in a savings account is a good idea especially if you don't already have a job waiting for you. I don't know how much money you will need per month. It depends on a variety of factors, for example the neighborhood where you intend to live, if you will need a car, if you need a one- or two-bedroom apartment, if you need child care services, etc. Costs for food can easily be over $1,000 for a family of three. Rent for a small one-bedroom will be at least $1,200-1,500 and for a two-bedroom $1,500+. If you both plan to work, you'll need to sign up for daycare, which is usually at least $700/month for toddlers. As a rough estimate, I would have at least $12,000 saved before you move. But this is a really low figure because things easily add up in Hawaii.
Find all posts by this user
01-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Dodgy
(01-05-2014 10:48 PM)eleakai Wrote:  Aloha Gretchen and welcome to our forum. Yes, 3 months worth of expenses in a savings account is a good idea especially if you don't already have a job waiting for you. I don't know how much money you will need per month. It depends on a variety of factors, for example the neighborhood where you intend to live, if you will need a car, if you need a one- or two-bedroom apartment, if you need child care services, etc. Costs for food can easily be over $1,000 for a family of three. Rent for a small one-bedroom will be at least $1,200-1,500 and for a two-bedroom $1,500+. If you both plan to work, you'll need to sign up for daycare, which is usually at least $700/month for toddlers. As a rough estimate, I would have at least $12,000 saved before you move. But this is a really low figure because things easily add up in Hawaii.

Thanks for your input I appreciate it.