Current time: 10-18-2017, 01:03 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Arriving in Hilo on the Big Island
03-14-2011, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:20 PM by eleakai.)
Arriving in Hilo on the Big Island
I arrived on the Big Island last Saturday early in the morning and the first thing I did after landing in Hilo is visit the Big Island Candies store to snack on their free cookies and coffee Smile It's a nice store where you can see how the cookies are produced. The workers are standing behind a glass wall dipping cookies into liquid chocolate. I bought a large chocolate-dipped shortbread box, my favorite ones.

After that I drove north on one of the most scenic roads in all of Hawaii, the Old Mamalahoa Highway. I would say it tops the much more advertised Road to Hana on Maui. The Old Malamalahoa Highway is not as spooky as the Road to Hana (it only has a few one-lane bridges, is much shorter and doesn't lead along a steep sea cliff). After about 3 miles it leads to Onomea Bay. The view from the highway is so pretty I spent at least 20 minutes at the lookout point and took many picture and videos. Right around the corner from there is the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden. Admission to the garden is a bit pricey ($15 per person), but it's worth it! A wooden boardwalk on high stilts leads all the way through the rainforest and down to the beach of Onomea Bay. But before you get there, you'll see a waterfall, a lily pond and several flower gardens with all kinds of palms and tropical flowers (orchids, bromeliads, hibiscus, etc.). The garden promotes itself by saying that it's the lushest area in Hawaii and I can easily believe that after having visited it. I took close to 200 pictures.

On the way south to Kapoho where I'm staying I stopped in Mountain View at the Hilo Coffee Mill. They also offer free coffee samples. And while you taste them, they tell you about it. An interesting fact that I learned is that the more bubbles are on the freshly brewed surface of the coffee, the fresher it is. Also, dark roast coffee has less caffeine than medium or light roast coffee. That's because the caffeine burns away the more you roast the coffee. My favorite one was the dark roast and I bought a package along with some fragrant soaps. The smell of both their coffee and soaps is hypnotizing Smile

Big Island Candies

Old Mamalahoa Highway

Onomea Bay

Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden

Hilo Coffee Mill

Road to Kapoho

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply