Current time: 10-19-2017, 01:41 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Another Moving Question
01-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Another Moving Question
Hello.
I am currently retired and my wife will be in just over a year. At that time we would like to try Hawaii for a year to see if we can make it our permanent home. Problem is we know every little about the different islands. We want to rent a place with multiple fruit trees and a place to grow vegetables. We would prefer to be away from the big cities and don’t even need neighbors, however, it would be preferable to be biking distance from the beach and semi close to a farmers market. We enjoy hiking and general exercise. We don’t have a ton of money, but I see pretty reasonable rent prices on craigslist. Also, we are not sure how much stuff to bring or if we should ship our vehicles.
Some questions that come to mind are:
Which island is best for growing?
Are shipped vehicles priced by size or weight?
Which island has the best even tempered weather?
Any biting bugs on the islands?
Any knowledge of the Naia House on the South Kona Coffee Estate http://www.southkonacoffee.net?

I guess you can say we are pretty clueless. Any links, question we should be asking and or any general information would much appreciated.

Thank You In Advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2014, 10:33 PM
RE: Another Moving Question
Aloha francot and welcome to our forum! What you are looking for (having a house in the country and near a beach and farmers market, grow some vegetables, even-tempered weather, etc.) - this could honestly said be any Hawaiian island. But generally speaking, if you have a limited budget, you can get the most house and the most land on the Big Island (for example in the neighborhoods south or north of Hilo). It's a lush area and you could grow all kinds of things there. Many houses you can rent there include gardens with fruit trees. It rains more frequently than in the leeward areas of the island, but this applies to all Hawaiian islands (you need water to grow things anyway).

But the climate is even-tempered on all the islands at sea level (you won't encounter frost or temperatures below the 60s). Oahu is the most crowded island (950,000 people compared to 150,000 on the Big Island, which is much bigger), but even here you can find what you are looking for if you have a flexible budget.

Now regarding beaches, do you mean you want to be close to the ocean or a sandy, swimmable beach? The Hilo area that I described above doesn't really have that. This area has a lava rock coastline. Sure there are some areas where you can have a dip, but you won't find a white-sand beach in this area. But there is a farmers market. There are also plenty of hiking areas on all the islands, so no need to worry regarding this part.

Which island is best for growing? I myself don't have a garden, so can't answer this question. But fruits and vegetables are grown on all four major islands. Also, if you're specifically looking for a house that already has a garden, you'll have a better idea what the situation in that specific area is like (also regarding beaches, hiking trails, etc.)

Vehicles: Yes, it depends on how big your vehicle is (a standard size costs around $1,100 to ship). Some people ship it to Hawaii, but it's not necessary. You can buy a new or used car in Hawaii. For shipping info, check the websites of shippers, such as Horizon Lines, Matson and Pasha Hawaii.

Biting bugs: Sure there are some (mosquitoes, ants, etc.). But it's mainly when you're hiking through a rainforest that you'll notice them. I have never felt bothered on the beach or in the city.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply