Current time: 12-12-2017, 01:42 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Annual Lantern Floating Ceremony on Memorial Day at Ala Moana Beach Park on Oahu
05-29-2011, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2011 07:29 PM by kaniamea.)
Annual Lantern Floating Ceremony on Memorial Day at Ala Moana Beach Park on Oahu
This Memorial Day event, which takes place at Ala Moana Beach Park in Honolulu, has become very popular over the years. Every Memorial Day thousands gather at Magic Island/Ala Moana Beach Park to see the Lantern Floating Ceremony, which begins at 6:30 p.m. The lit lanterns are put into the water from canoes and from people on the beach just after sunset. It is a beautiful sight, to see hundreds of glowing lanterns floating on the ocean. The ceremony remembers those who lost their lives in conflict.

This is a free event and everybody is invited to take part in it. A limited number of lanterns will be available to the public, beginning at 1 p.m. on the beach. Or you can place your remembrance on a community lantern, which will be released by a volunteer. And in case you can't make it to the beach park, you can watch the live broadcast beginning at 6:30 p.m. on hawaiinewsnow.com.

After the event I will be posting pictures here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2011, 09:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 02:01 PM by eleakai.)
RE: Annual Lantern Floating Ceremony on Memorial Day at Ala Moana Beach Park on Oahu
Here are some photos from the lantern floating ceremony today.

05-31-2011, 03:15 AM
RE: Annual Lantern Floating Ceremony on Memorial Day at Ala Moana Beach Park on Oahu
That is so beautiful! I wish I could have been there! The last time I was in Hawaii,'08, we were there on Memorial day weekend. We went to Pearl Harbor, and then later on that day we got to see the lantern ceremony. Such a great day, I felt honored that I could be a part of it all!
05-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Yes, it's a great event. I have been there each year since 2004 and witnessed how it became more and more popular over the years. I remember in 2004 I could still find a spot near the stage and actually sit down on the beach with room around me. Back then they also had tiki torches lining the beach. But in the last years as more people came to this event, the tiki torches got too dangerous I guess and it gets really crowded in the area around the stage. So I went a bit further away to be able to take these photos. Like this I could also capture Diamond Head in the background.