Current time: 12-12-2017, 02:08 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
An Update about Enid
08-05-2011, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2011 03:37 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
An Update about Enid
Today, I missed a call from Enid in the afternoon because I have been bedridden off and on for some time now even though the two different Morphine tablets are working much better than my old medications.
I haven't called Enid for some time now and I feared it was some really bad news from Enid's family and that wasn't the case at all.
In fact, it was Enid that had called and she is doing fantastic right now to the point that she is coming back here to Hawaii with her daughter and son-in-law to visit me.
Before I get to the good news, I want to give some of the new readers some background on Enid. I've known Enid for about 10-15 years as an online friend until last year when she came here last year and we got to go to the US Marine's Toys for Tots Bike Run here in Waikiki and I also took her and her family to the business office of Dog the Bounty Hunter.
About two or three years ago, Enid was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of Cancer and she has had some very close calls. That is actually an understatement of facts. Her case is a lot more complicated than most without going into too much detail but she has some wonderful doctors that refuse to give up on her.
She started a new form of Cancer drugs last year as a last hope and they appear to be working and working well for her but that wasn't always the case. These new drugs came with a lot of food and drug restrictions that most people would consider the end but not Enid. She is a trooper and a fighter and I mean that in a nice way.
By all previous forms of cancer treatments, chances are that she would not still be here with us today. Today, doctors and drug companies are starting to think outside the box and slowly moving away from chemotherapeutic forms of cancer treatments. There is a whole new form of cancer drugs and some are sugar-based drugs and target cancer cells with pinpoint accuracy.
Now for the good news and the phone call from Enid. I returned her call right away after my kids woke me up and said that I had missed a phone call. She is about six hours ahead of Hawaii but I knew that this was an important call and knew it was evening time in Ohio. That is what made me worry the most. I usually get her calls in the morning, Hawaii time.
Enid is doing so well that her doctor elected her for a new experimental cancer research drug treatment with the understanding 50% of the patients will get a placebo and some will get the new drugs. Either way,in her case,it's a lot better than doing nothing at all.
It always seems like there is some downsides to new drugs like the one's she's been taking over the past year. She had lost the feeling in her hands and feet and this is where the good news begins. She can now feel when her cat rubs against her feet and now has regain the feelings in her hands.
She was also experiencing problems with her breathing and that has improved a great deal. In fact,this is what actually lead to her phone call to me. She called me and told me to expect company this coming September. She just booked flights for herself,her daughter and son-in-law to come here to Hawaii to visit me. Everything is booked and finalized. Her family is looking forward into meeting the person who helped Enid get through the worst part of her life and her cancer treatments. Of course, I am no stranger to cancer treatments and supporting loved one's who has gone through this. To be honest, I don't know how I am still alive today.
So, Enid is planning for all these things to do together on this trip and I thought that I would like to take her to Dog the Bounty Hunter's home in Portlock but don't know if he'll have time during his busy filming schedule to meet with her but we'll give it a try. Somewhere on this ohana forum, I post pictures of his home in Portlock.
She also wants to go to Ko O'lina for their Paradise Cove luau and this will be an opportunity to visit Disney's new Aulani Resort and Hotel at Ko O'lina Resort Community in Kapiolei.
I am extremely happy that things have turned around for Enid and feels up to coming back here to Hawaii again. She has been a really good friend and a very good source of information for me about the old Hawaii and how it once was. She lived here in the early 1960's and was personally friends with Don Ho and all of his band members. She was here even before all these hotels and buildings where built in Waikiki. She still can't type posts anymore but I learn more and more about the old Hawaii with each new phone call and I am so greatful to be her friend.
By the way, she still comes to this forum quite often and reads all these posts here. She says Aloha to everyone here and loves all the posts.So feel free to post any questions and comments here.
Thank you Enid for being here for all of us and a big Mahalo!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2011, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2011 02:18 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
RE: An Update about Enid
An update on Enid:

Enid called me this morning. I'm one of the few people she calls on a regular basis and I really enjoy her calls. She came here to Hawaii two months ago with her son and daughter and we got together. I drove them to Wal-Mart and Sam's Club to do there shopping when they first arrived. A couple days later, we got together at Dukes and then ate upstairs at the Hula Grill. The food and menu was just awful so I went for just a burger and fries.
Anyway, she brought her photo album with her on this trip and boy,was I blown away by her pictures. I had no idea that there use to be a Shell gas station next to the St.Augustine Church by the Sea across from the Marriott Hotel on Kalakaua. Kalakaua was a much wider road and was two way. Even Waikiki Beach wasn't as big as it is now. The waves use to break right near the road on Kalakaua. I loved her pictures of PCC when they had a ship for people to stand on to watch there ocean shows. Yes, you can see the ocean before there were houses blocking the view as it is today.
But unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. After Enid got back home, her doctors said that her cancer had gotten much worse and she has been going downhill since. I have to say that while she was here, she was doing fine and feeling good.
The last couple of phone calls from Enid has brought more bad news but all and all, she is still ok. She is on Morphine now and sleeps like a baby. I know this feeling myself. Wondering if you will ever wake up or wake up and find that most of the day is gone already. Reminds me of that song the "Gambler" and parts of it's lyrics.
So tomorrow, she is having her Christmas party with all of her family and friends. They are doing this really early while she is able to enjoy it. I hate to admit this but maybe this is the best way for everyone to remember her. I don't like the feeling of seeing a good friend slip away but I will always have good and fond memories of her from her visits to Hawaii. She has a really great son that just couldn't accept the facts in the beginning but has been with her 110% over the past year. He has always been there for her but just couldn't believe the reality of his mom's cancer in the beginning. The disbelief of a loved one with cancer is something that many families struggle with and not just Enid's family. All of her other family members just seem to get it from the beginning and her daughter has been the glue for her family during this time. I think that I would be much like her son if I was in the same pair of shoes.
Rich, Enid wanted me to call you but I just couldn't do it today or maybe just right now, but she wanted to say that she has been reading your posts to her and that she responded to one of them. I will try to call you later in the week if I remember to do so. She has been enjoying your words of wisdom and all that you post. Keep doing whatever you;ve been doing and she said that she gets it.
Enid, I would like to think that we can live forever but we all know that isn't true. You have been a friend always and you have personally made a difference in so many lives. As I listened to you today and all the arrangements you've done for your family, I couldn't have been more proud and your courage is unmatched. Sometimes it takes a while for the reality of things to sink in and my reaction today was delayed. I didn't want you to hear it in my voice but I heard it in yours near the end of the call. Don't worry Enid, there will always be someone there to look over you. I truly believe in that for you. You just keep doing everything that you set out to do and who knows, maybe there is places like Hawaii if not better to look forward too.
11-06-2011, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2011 06:12 PM by kaniamea.)
I send all my positive energy to Enid. It is good her family is together with her now. I truly believe there is no death and we are just for a short while on Planet Earth learning and growing from our experiences. When our soul have fulfilled its goals here and let our body go, we only move to a better world filled only with love.
Find all posts by this user
11-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Sounds very close to Buddhism. I believe that the cycle of life can very well be that way. This doesn't mean that we don't feel pain or loss, but gives us the necessary tools to shape our lives. Helps us to see the path to the high roads of our lives and do things that are honest and sincere for ourselves. No matter what a person believes, putting your hands together to pray is the common step for everyone without differences to age.