Current time: 11-24-2017, 05:53 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Wonderful Night of Lightning
02-25-2011, 05:12 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 12:05 PM by eleakai.)
A Wonderful Night of Lightning
Yesterday from 5 pm to 4am, we had 20,799 lightning strikes with the peak at 1:30am last night according to KHON News Honolulu. The only damage reported was a lightning strike on a church steeple that blasted part of the roof about 600 feet away into the church's parking lot.
It started to thunder yesterday afternoon around 5 pm and then I saw lightning bolts around the Honolulu Airport and then it went away as quickly as it began. Then about an hour later,it started all over again and just got better and better as the night progressed. It was just colorful and breathtaking at times. You will see in my pictures what I am talking about. I also found some cool videos to post also.

It was a wonderful display of mother nature. We had lightning strikes all around the island and only 10 minutes of rain towards the end of the show and that there is what made it a fantastic evening and early morning event. The beaches were crowded with people watching this wonderful show even at 2 am in the morning.There were people sitting down on both sides of the Waikiki Pier trying to get a good view of the lightning that was coming from behind Diamond Head and to the rear,looking back towards the Leeward coast and towards the ocean where the show was just going into full swing. Vacationers got more bang for their bucks on this one and it was a show you just can't go out and purchase. I felt that this was a show that could last a lifetime and maybe never repeat ever again. I hope that I can add more to this thread in the near future and I hope you will book a vacation to Hawaii and be here for the next display of mother nature's power and beauty. Wish you were here....

Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2011, 07:27 PM
RE: A Wonderful Night of Lightning
The local news channels are saying that we have a good chance of having a good lightning show either tonight or tomorrow night here on Oahu. I sure hope so, it was just so fantastic last time. Hopefully,we'll get some more videos to post onto this thread.
04-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Yes, and they also said there would be hail and snow. I wonder if they forecast this only for Mauna Kea on the Big Island or for other areas as well. It certainly would be exciting to see some hail on the beach Smile That would be an interesting photo opportunity!
Find all posts by this user
04-05-2011, 01:05 AM
I saw Guy Hagi say that also on KHON NEWS last night too about the hail and snow. Only one way to find out is by following the link below and letting the time elapse photography from Mauna Kea, Hawaii load up. It starts from 4am until just after sunset. So the first two dozen frames are going to be dark with some cars lights but it gets faster the second time around. You can check this a few times throughout the day. Yesterday,there was no snow on the ground at all,if you see snow today,then the weatherman was right.

Mauan Kea, Big Island, Hawaii, Weather Cam
04-30-2011, 02:47 PM
We had another wonderful night of lightning last night. All of the lightning was just offshore and never a threat. No rain, just a wonderful show.
They are saying that we are suppose to have the same thing tonight during our 9th Annual Spam Jam.
Maybe we'll see some YouTube videos from last night's or tonight's lightning show. How cool would that be?
04-30-2011, 07:18 PM
So did you guys see the snow??
04-30-2011, 07:43 PM
(04-30-2011 07:18 PM)HawaiianBinky Wrote:  So did you guys see the snow??

Mauna Kea is actually on the big island of Hawaii, about 500 miles from where he lives in Honolulu. Even though it is the highest point on the islands (and 2nd highest of any island peak in the world) the snow is only visible on the clearest of days from the neighboring Haleakala on Maui. That is a about 120-150 miles away I believe. The very summit of Mauna Kea is snowcapped year round. Even then the snow isn't visible at that distance.
R
05-01-2011, 02:52 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2011 02:53 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
No, I can't see the snow from here. It's roughly 238 miles from here and even Maui is too far away to see the snow.
I was with a friend tonight checking out the lightning and witnessed a giant fireball that lit up the sky to almost like daytime. It was very bright and then turned green towards the end. It was heading downward towards the airport direction. It was one of the most fascinating events that I've had the pleasure of witnessing since I moved here to Hawaii.
I guess I'll have to wait until Monday morning to see if it made the news here.I don't know if the local news comes on Sundays or not.We're usually too busy on weekends here to pay attention to the news or even turn on the TV but I did watch Jeff Gordon crash in today's NASCAR race though. So,I really don't know about the local news here on weekends.
That's a good thing I think,lol.
05-01-2011, 10:53 AM
I follow the Hawaiian news on a daily basis http://www.staradvertiser.com/news but mostly through Facebook. That would have been Awesome to see that fireball. Is there a good observatory in Hawaii? I have a really nice telescope and study the stars as a hobby, and I've always wanted to see them in Hawaii.
The next island we go to, after our trip in July, will most likely be on Maui. I would love to see Mauna Kea. I was looking at it on Google maps, it looks Beautiful.
05-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Just to let you know,Mauna Kea is on the Big Island of Hawaii and not on Maui. You might want to plan your next trip to the Big Island if you want to really see Mauna Kea, which is located within the Volcanoes National Park.
Don't get me wrong,Maui is a good destination also. I think my favorite things to do there was watching the sunset from Lahaina Harbor and doing the drive on the road to Hana.
Rich could tell you a lot more about Maui than I could. I did like body surfing at Makena State Beach but you have to be careful to not let the kids wonder down the beach and end up at the nudist colony beach there. Yep, Hawaii is sometimes full of surprises,lol.