Current time: 11-24-2017, 12:27 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Wonderful Night of Lightning
05-06-2011, 01:19 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 02:07 PM by eleakai.)
Rainbow RE: A Wonderful Night of Lightning
I was in Oahu last week and took this pic on May 2nd.
I love my iPhone!!!
It's wasn't lightning but there was plenty of that too.Big Grin

[Image: IMG_0520.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2011, 05:05 AM
RE: A Wonderful Night of Lightning
That is one cool picture. I saw a pair of these waterspouts last Monday from my lanai and saw three of them at once last week.
Yeah, those iphones work pretty good for this stuff and don't need to carry a bulky camera around to get that special shot. Being at the right place at the right time is what it's all about in most cases such as this one.
Well, I hope you had a great time here on our island. Welcome to our ohana forum and please by all means, post more pictures and share your vacation stories or next vacation plans.
Thanks for coming by and posting that super great picture!
Mahalo-WW
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
05-11-2011, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 02:06 PM by eleakai.)
Thank you for the welcome to your ohana forum. We had a GREAT time in Oahu and we're already planning our next trip there.

Thought you might be interested in this video of the above waterspouts forming that John shot from Pu'u Ualaka'a State Park above Waikiki.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-11-2011, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2011 12:51 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Wow, that is one cool video. That was some wild weather that afternoon. Then you got that posted onto the Weather Channel is so cool. Apple makes it so easy to edit right on the spot and bam, it's on the net.
By the way, I don't think I ever heard of that park before now. I will need to figure out how to get there and that park soon. That sounds funny from someone that lives here,lol. Don't worry, it's by design that I haven't been to a lot of cool places on this island yet. I want to take my time discovering this island. I plan to live the rest of my days here and I'm not in a hurry.
Mari, you are welcome to keep posting pictures,videos or whatever you two like to post, we welcome it all. Yes, Hawaii is addictive. No sooner you get back, you start thinking about the next trip,which turns out to be about once a year or that's how it was for us before we moved here.
I soon found out that the only way to keep my sanity was by planning trips here to the islands. My last vacation before I ended up moving here was a trip to here and a week on the Big Island, which I need to do again.
Anyway, thanks for posting that video and we'll see you again very soon.
Mahalo-WW
05-11-2011, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2011 03:39 PM by kaniamea.)
What a cool photo! Thank you for sharing it!
Find all posts by this user
05-12-2011, 02:15 AM
That was an awesome video. I hope that does not happen when I am in Hawaii! That wind could knock my pina coloda out of my hand!Big Grin
05-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Aloha Mari, when this happened I was dining in a beachfront restaurant in Waikiki. Your video captures the storm very well. Pretty scary looking and amazing in the same time! It is great you had the chance to drive up to Pu'u Ualaka'a State Park and see the amazing view from there. While I was at the restaurant I wish I had my video camera with me because I saw the great lightning show right from there.
Find all posts by this user
05-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Aloha Mari,
Even though I first saw both water spouts form, your video captured what I couldn't see. That the bigger one was rain-wrapped and from my level,I couldn't see that it was still there and lasted a long time. This water spouts is the most dangerous because it could of came onto land in the form of a tornado (that is what it is) and no one would of had time to take cover or it would have been too late before you figured out what was happening.
That is the reason why weather spotters like me and you are so important for the National Weather Service. They need people on the ground to let them know what they are seeing and what direction this is going in order to issue their warnings and to notify the local Departments of Emergency Managements. Also, never assume that someone else has called it in already. As this video shows,your view was much different than mine. I called in what I was seeing but my view quickly became limited. Your view would have provided more of a sense of direction for first responders. That is how lives are saved.
Good job on the video and I am sure that your video will be viewed over and over again by the experts at NWS and NOAA. It will be viewed frame by frame and documented.
By the way, how long after you shot this video did it take you to post this onto the Weather Channel?
05-13-2011, 08:18 PM
When I started this thread a couple months ago,I thought it would have been for a one time event. That is no longer the case as of two weeks ago when this unstable air from a low surface trough formed just south of the islands and started creating some of the most fierce thunderstorms in Hawaii since 1932.
Almost every night for over two weeks now,we've had this really rare and may I say,strange weather for Hawaii and for this time of the year.
The end result has been these wonderful light displays until 3am in the morning and at times,around the clock. This is a photographers dream,in fact. I wonder if some of this stuff will spill over into some of our current hit TV series such as Hawaii Five-0? We'll have to wait and see for that one. Remember,anything that is happening right now won't be aired for another month yet.The plus side of all this is that it looks like Hawaii Five-0 is here to stay for years to come unless our local politicians get greedy and do something to upset the production of this famous TV series.
One by-product of these storms is the great surfing we've had lately. We've had some wonderful waves and swells here in Waikiki and I would pay extra for an oceanfront room on a high floor to really enjoy these light shows. A suite that faces south or southwest would be perfect. Yes, I am very lucky to have an oceanfront view and can enjoy these light shows from my lanai or walk across the street to the beach to get the full experience.
Today was such a wonderful day and I got to see such a wonderful view of the ocean and the sky with distant clouds for tonight's light show from the front entrance to Tripler Army Hospital. Today was the first day in two weeks that I felt comfortable in driving over there to take care of some things and visit the PX Exchange there.
I could see Pearl Harbor in all it's glory and the nearby boat harbors and of course,Waikiki.
So drop what you're doing, hop on a plane and come enjoy a wonderful and usual daily light show that we my never see again or I could be wrong about that,maybe. Who knows?
09-20-2012, 01:53 PM
I went for 20+ years not remembering that the islands do get lightening and thunder. For whatever reason, like missing the sound of trains, I thought I had enjoyed the daily showers and double rainbows with so sound or light, LOL!