Current time: 11-24-2017, 12:24 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Wonderful Night of Lightning
05-01-2011, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2011 10:43 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
RE: A Wonderful Night of Lightning
I walked over to a friend`s building to watch this great lightning show tonight. It`off the hook tonight, even catchin some thunder action right now.
So we some pictures by using the timer and got lucky on a few shots. Hope you like`em!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Great pictures! I heard the thunder late last night, but didn't know that there was lightning too. I guess when you live close to the ground like I do and have the curtains closed, you can easily miss a great lightning show. But in a high-rise, I'm sure it must look great.
Find all posts by this user
05-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Since around 5pm HST, we have been getting pounded with thunderstorms with a lot of lightning and roaring thunder. This has got to be the worst thunderstorms we've ever experienced here in Hawaii.
This is also the first time that I've ever seen pink lightning and a lot of it.This pink lightning is just flickering like a bunch of bad light bulbs. I have seen blue,white, and green lightning but this is a first for pink lightning.
We observed a pair of waterspouts just offshore of Waikiki and were moving towards the airport.
Just a moment ago while typing this post,a passenger jet flew over our building to avoid the lightning and just got hit. My son was pointing at the jet and talking about how low it was and we both saw it get hit at the same time.
We are listening to our NOAA radio and I also have a link on this Weather Forum if you are interested in our local weather warnings here.
Our streets are flooded here in Waikiki. The rain has been so heavy that we couldn't see the buildings behind us at times. To the front,we see lightning striking the waters and I can't believe there are about a dozen boats out there.
We have seen the power go out a few times to parts of Waikiki. In fact,the whole east part of the island has been out of power since around 6pm hst. Our building switched to the back up generators a while ago. For the most part,the power company has been doing a good job. Not like the old days as they say.
We did lose a bunch of traffic lights and there is no lights on the freeway.
I will post again after this thunderstorm is done and I get to watch the news.
05-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Great Pics! Just don't get into the way of the lightning!
05-02-2011, 10:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2011 10:06 PM by kaniamea.)
I agree that this was one of the most severe lightning storms in the last decade in Hawaii. I was for dinner in Waikiki. I took my aunt who is visiting me from the mainland to the Orchids restaurant at the Halekulani Hotel. I had requested an oceanfront table, but since the rain was so strong, they had the curtains down on all sides. So for the first hour, we couldn't see outside at all. The oceanfront terrace got flooded and many people had to be re-seated. The pipe next to my chair couldn't handle the surge of water and had to be wrapped in towels (see picture below). It almost felt like dining on water. Then after the rain had stopped, they rolled up the curtains and everyone could enjoy the awesome lightning show, which is a very rare occurrence in Hawaii, not only a thunderstorm, but with this intensity. I was really very sorry that I didn't have my video camera with me, but I enjoyed the show very much. I was joking with my aunt that this was so much better than the Friday fireworks. Even better than a sunset because sunsets are usually rather shortlived in Hawaii and this went on all evening. I saw many large lightning hit the ocean and others lit the entire sky. It was a unique evening.

Find all posts by this user
05-02-2011, 10:54 PM
I see what you mean. Yes,quite a show and it hasn't even stopped yet. It's almost 11pm my time, this has been going on for six hours now and they are saying that this will happen again tomorrow. In fact, they are telling everyone to cook your meals early and stock up on supplies here.
That there will also be a good chance that we'll lose our power again tomorrow since two main transmission lines got hit tonight and need to be repaired. That 60,000 residents lost their power,over half of the island,but that power has been re-routed and everything is back up.
They were showing on the news all the streets in Waikiki that were just completely flooded. They were also showing the H-1 flooded going through Waikiki and Honolulu also.
Now the rain has stopped but the lightning is continuing. Most of it seems to be by the airport and further out to sea.
Can't wait for tomorrow evening. My we'll get a repeat?
05-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Yikes! Sounds like it would not be a good time to be in Waikiki for the day! Hmmmmmm.....guess you could just go to a bar! Big Grin I will be there soon to have some fun!!!!
05-03-2011, 03:33 AM
Ah, it's not so bad. I went out at 11:30 and the beach was crowded. The rain had stopped and it was just a wonderful light show, and still hasn't stopped.
To think that this is suppose to happen again tomorrow evening is like having Christmas for three days in a roll. Then there is people sitting around everywhere along the beach and pier checking out the show.
One of the shocking things that I discovered tonight was how much beach erosion there was from all of the water runoff from all the flooding last night. I saw major erosion from Duke's Statue to the other end at the Waikiki Pier. There was irrigation lines that were exposed and tons of sand missing.
If you look at the Doppler radar right now,this island is surrounded by thunderstorms right this moment. So, I feel that we will get another lightning storm before sun up.
They are calling this the storm of decades.I heard it was a bad winter storm from NOAA radio also. I just think that since these storms are starting in the evenings vs during the day,the tourists are getting a big bonus for their vacation stories and pictures.
I'll be back again tomorrow with more weather related news. Good nite everyone.
05-05-2011, 01:43 AM
I saw the weather in Waikiki on the news here last night. It really looked crazy! I hope everything ended Ok for you buddy! Try to hang loose! You will get to se me soon!!!!!Big Grin
05-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Actually Dude, we've had a bunch of lightning every night during this past week and I'm in heaven right now. I went out again the last couple of nights to check it out and it's been fantastic. Not much as far as the rain goes except for the third night. The third night was when we got that huge storm that rained and flooded Waikiki but the rain only lasted for a few hours and was just a major light show from 9pm until sun up. This has been a wonderful year for that so far. I didn't see hardly any action like this last year.
The Department of Emergency Management just sent me a weather preparedness email and I'm wondering if this is going to be a bad hurricane season this year since we got nothing last year? Hurricane season starts on June 1st of this year and I think it goes until November. I haven't heard any predictions for this hurricane season yet but the world has been going through a strange phase of bad weather so far this year and breaking new records. At this point, nothing would surprise me or surprise me if nothing happened.
So,our weather made the national news? Wow, isn't that something?