Current time: 12-12-2017, 07:34 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
8.9 Earthquake triggers Hawaiian Tsunamis
03-11-2011, 06:13 AM
8.9 Earthquake triggers Hawaiian Tsunamis
We got word of the 8.9 Earthquake in Japan that was followed by very large waves from Tsunamis. Our governor is now reporting damages to Maui and the Big Island but warning that it is too soon to when when this will be finished. Warning residents of the state of Hawaii to wait until he gives the all clear personally.
They are saying that this quake is the same as the one that hit Hawaii in 1933 from a quake from the same part of Japan. In that case,the most damaging wave was the tenth one. They are saying that we are currently in between the third and fourth only. That these waves will last all day. Word is that Hawaii Kai was just hit badly and they have closed the whole area. The water has crossed the highway and H-1 is closed going towards that side of the island. They just closed the airport and all of the flights that were due to fly in have been turned around after being open all night and morning up to this point. Theny must be serious about this tenth way.
We've seen all the boats and ships wait out in the ocean and started to return twice but all went back out about an hour ago and have stayed out there. Now reports of damages on the North Shore and their harbors.
I'll report more news as it comes in.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2011, 08:50 AM
RE: 8.9 Earthquake triggers Hawaiian Tsunamis
Glad to see you're ok. Keep us posted! Enid
03-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Hello Enid,
We are doing fine but very tired. It's still pretty quiet here in town. There is no bus service,many businesses are still closed and all the schools are closed. Today was to be the last day of school for spring break anyway, we don't if our kids were to have an assignments or projects over their vacations.
The view of the ocean is really eerie,the water is blue,green ,purple and gray. We are having what looks like extreme low tides and high tides each hour. It is strange to see the reefs so exposed going out for about a half mile and suddenly these waves come rushing in. The becomes very still with no waves at all and then the water appears to start boiling. It gives you the impression that there is too much water in the beach ponds here in Waikiki and the water rushes out of them for about 20-30 minutes,suddenly stops and then changes directions.
Waikiki is pretty protected in the way our reef goes out a very long way before dropping off into deep water. What we do have is these waves rushing in and out of the Ala Wai Canal every hour like this. After the first set of waves hit, you could hear the waves breaking from the Ala Wai.
We can't see any damages here but we saw on the news here how these waves going in and out are playing havic on our harbors around all of the islands including ours. All of the boats are still waiting out in the ocean still and the Coast Guard cutters are going boat to boat giving away bag lunches and bottles of water. Basically,checking the welfare of passenger on board the ships and boats. There are also a lot of helicopters flying around more than usual. I assume some are media,some are the fire department and the rest are tours companies and the red US Coast Guard aircraft.
Even though I haven't seen any damages,we all feel too tired to go around and look at some that has been reported. The energy of the tsunami waves were in pockets and bouncing back and forth between islands. Something that I didn't report was that yesterday morning,we had a large water main break at Kapahulu Ave and Ala Wai Blvd. It was the second such water main break here in Waikiki this week. The first one was at Kuhio Ave and the Royal Hawaiian Blvd. and water service may not have been restored to many customers yet. I do know that those areas are still blocked off and traffic is still being re-routed around them.
Below is some pictures I took earlier and they show how the reefs suddenly become bare and then the water starts to boil again,followed by large,strange acting waves. People are now crowd to the beach but still not going into the water.You will see how I was able to walk half way out on the reef and shoot these pictures. How areas of the beaches I never seen exposed before are clearly visible. From a distance,the water keeps changing colors from blue green to ash gray from the sand from the bottom of the ocean coming to the top of the water.
They are saying that this is going to happen all day and into the night also. I can see many military ships close to the shore,sitting there as if they are watching over Waikiki. It's actually comforting compared to what we are watching on CNN right now. They are saying that this was the worst earthquake and tsunami to ever hit Japan and I can believe that. I was in Japan in 1995 during the Kobe Quake across the bay in Osaka. That was another really bad quake but no tsunami. I am sure that the death toll in Japan is going to continue to rise and there is new fears that one of their nuclear power plants was ruptured during last nights 8.9 earthquake and possible nuclear fallout might happening right now as I speak. We'll have to wait for more accurate details as they come in. I will check back in later.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Wow, I've never seen Waikiki Beach like that! The pictures really show it well. I can't believe that this is still going on this morning. I would feel scared to walk on that reef because you don't know if suddenly the ocean will move in quickly. But you did a great job with these pictures so we all can see. I haven't been out this morning yet. Too tired. I had to evacuate last night because I live in a flood zone, right next to the Ala Wai Canal. Tomorrow I'm going to Hilo and hope that there won't be any more earthquakes, tsunamis or major volcanic eruptions. I'm hoping for a relaxing vacation with no sleepless nights.
Find all posts by this user
03-11-2011, 05:11 PM
We went to the beach a little more than an hour ago and discovered that the waves are much worse than they were this morning and you will see a big different in my pictures below. We had been out there for about an hour,watching the waves go in and out. Then over a period of a few minutes,the ocean just started drying up. This was going on for 15-20 minutes straight and then everything got very quiet and then the big waves started coming in.
Suddenly,all the lifeguard towers started blowing whistles and then started yelling on their PA Systems (which I didn't know they had) for everyone to get out of the water fast. Even we were running away from the beach. I have a feeling that this isn't over yet by a long shot.

03-11-2011, 06:30 PM
wonderful pictures, but stay safe my friend. No picture is worth risking your life for.
03-14-2011, 05:07 AM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2011 05:11 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
I want to share a story that was told to me last night during the 2011 Honolulu Festival and Parade. I had met a nice elderly couple that came here from Canada of Jan.6th to stay for the winter. He had a walker with a hand brake and two wheels in the back and he also had a cast of his left foot.
They were telling me how they had to be rescued by a tsunami wave Saturday evening just as the sun was setting. The ocean here is still having high and low tides each hour and they are saying that this could last for a couple of weeks still.
They said that everyone was watching the sunset and suddenly a hugh wave came in and went all the way up to Kalakaua Avenue or up to the sidewalks there. About 50 people lost their cell phones,wallets and beach towels that got washed out to sea. He had stated that his wife started to scream and a local man ran up and picked up her husband and carried him through the water to the sidewalk and even went back and got his walker.
There was many others who recounted similar stories of the events of the evening before. We went to the parade with a Japanese family that we know very well and that comes over to play with my kids. Their kids are in my son's class at school. They knew several people involve with the parade and came over to talk to them. They were told that several Japanese tourists that were here for this weekends events were on the beach behind the Moana Surfrider when this same wave hit. They said that there was no lifeguards but that a bunch of surf instructors and one of their outrigger canoes rescued a bunch of them.
Now I was up on my lanai and watched the sunset and saw the ocean doing the high and low tides all afternoon and I didn't notice a thing. As everyone had said,it happen so fast and that you would of had to been there to experience it.
So what this is telling me is that the ocean has not settled down just yet and that these strange waves can suddenly appear without notice at anytime. This puts a whole new meaning to never turn your back to the ocean. That waves can and will strike at anytime even while it's nice and beautiful at the time.
In the meantime,since the 8.9 quake,there has been several aftershocks above 7.0 and over 60 quakes above 6.0 and all of them happen about 80 miles offshore of Honshu,Japan. This will keep the ocean moving and keep the strange currents going. Even today,the ocean had that gray and purple look to it. That is the ocean bottom coming to the top and moving around.
Below is a story that was headlined on Yahoo and many of the relief organizations have also stopped taking volunteers for this same reason. Check out the link below.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110314/ap_o...hquake_118