Lanai Towns and Ancient Settlements

Lanai Cities MapThe island of Lanai has only one major town. It is called Lanai City, but in reality it is a small, sleepy town with a population of 3,102. Most Lanai residents live here, in the central part of the island.

There are a few more homes on the island's south shore, but other than that the places listed here are ancient Hawaiian fishing villages and people no longer live there.

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Located on Lanai's west shore is the coastal village and harbor of Kaumalapau. The harbor was built by James Dole, the founder of the Hawaiian Pineapple Company. When it was completed, it included a 400-foot (122 m) long concrete wharf.
Kaunolu is an ancient Hawaiian fishing village that was abandoned in the 1880s. The main attraction here is the largest concentration of stone ruins on the island, including Halulu Heiau.

Keomuku was a small and sleepy fishing village up until 1899, when the Maunalei Sugar Company moved in and turned the village into a bustling sugar plantation. Over 500 workers were brought here to work in the sugarcane fields.
A great ranch complex sprang from Koele and scattered around Lanai, which has a perfect climate for raising livestock. Some 45,000 sheep and lambs, 600 horses, 500 horned cattle, goats and numerous wild turkeys inhabited the island in 1893.
Lanai City
Lanai City is the main residential development on Lanai, located in the center of the island. It was developed by James Dole in the early 1920s and was recently named one of the top most endangered historic sites in the U.S.
The ancient seaside village of Lopa is located down a rough dirt road. This former seaside village's most astounding feature is the ancient fishpond, which has been designated as a seabird sanctuary.