Located in the heart of Hanalei, this mission house dates back to 1837 and offers a chance to see how the early Christian missionaries lived. The missionaries first arrived in Hanalei on the island of Kauai in 1832 to convert the natives to Christianity.
This used to be the home of early Christian missionaries Abner and Lucy Wilcox who moved here in 1847. The home was originally constructed by Reverend William Alexander prior to the Wilcox' arrival.
The architecture of this home is what makes it different from others in Hawaii. Most mission homes from the same time were built in the traditional New England style architecture, appearing at odds with their tropical landscape.
Since Reverend Alexander originally came from Kentucky, this home has influences from his southern roots, as well as Hawaii. There's a lava rock chimney, lanais on both stories and ohia wood floors. The home is furnished with traditional Hawaiian koa furniture. There's even a clock inside that was installed in 1866 and still keeps perfect time.
Next to the missionary home is the Wai'oli Hui'ia Church, which was founded it 1834. Its stained glass windows and green shingles make it a popular landmark in Hanalei.
Closed on major holidays.
Reservations are required to see the house, so be sure to call ahead (808) 245-3202.
Wai'oli Mission House Overview
Landmark in Hanalei
Captures the rural life on Kauai as is was in the 1840s and beyond
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places